IGCSE – ChemistrySeptember 27, 2020
IGCSE AfrikaansSeptember 28, 2020
The aims describe the purposes of a course based on this syllabus.
The aims are to enable students to:
• read a wide range of texts, fluently and with good understanding, enjoying and appreciating a variety of
• read critically, and use knowledge gained from wide reading to inform and improve their own writing
• write accurately and effectively, using Standard English appropriately
• work with information and with ideas in language by developing skills of evaluation, analysis, use and inference
• listen to, understand, and use spoken language effectively
• acquire and apply a wide vocabulary, alongside a knowledge and understanding of grammatical terminology
and linguistic conventions.
Cambridge IGCSE First Language English offers candidates the opportunity to respond with understanding to a rich
array of reading texts during the course as a whole. Candidates will use these texts to inform and inspire their own
writing, and write in a range of text types for different purposes and audiences.
Candidates will develop both their speaking and their listening skills, delivering a presentation, and responding to
questions and engaging in conversations.
Candidates are encouraged to become appreciative and critical readers, writers, speakers and listeners.